Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post Terminus Discussion

A Credible Source Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassSocialCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenchra
    Now it says that grading points goes towards Vigor, and Latens.

Do I split this up between the two? Or do they both get 100 to their totals. In which Vigor just is my mana pool and I'll use latens to buy my skills.

I can see both working, given that if you do spread them out amongst the two in brings in a highly interesting strategic value to working on your character. Does one go for more Vigor pool to spam for days? or does one go for stronger skills?

On the other hand I can see giving the points to both Stats as a user friendly side of things. Makes things a bit less complicated and cause for the strength of people to grow on a steady scale. Rather than user defined.
    When a grade is given, it applies to both. Vigor is your total points, and Latens is your unspent points. Think of it as keeping track of a Paygrade from Halcyon Days. You have a maximum allotment that you spend in whatever way you deem fit (in this case, on skills). Of course, once you spend for a skill, that's it. That Latens is gone.

So let's say you wrote some words, and received a nicer grade of 250 points. Very nice. You then receive 250 Vigor, and 250 Latens.

Next question is about Esteem. I assume from reading Esteem is like the old connection. It is a total value of all points gained and will determine plateaus of power, but is not increased by outside sources other than just writing and I assume will not be decreased.
    Esteem is tied to a character's total Vigor, so for simplicity's sake lets say those 250 points actually get you three things: 250 Vigor, 250 Latens, and 250 Esteem.

The that brings up another question, since it was mentioned that 2nd PCs will be allowed. Will reworking stats be allowed? I think if it is, it will bring up issues, as you're working with three stats that are all based off how much you have written. Is Esteem, for lack of a better term, Account bound? or is it character specific? How does reducing stats from PC A to PC B effect latens? or Vigor? If I choose to move over 500 points, would I have to drop a skill that was previously learned? and that would drop my Vigor pool and Esteem count as well?
    This works much the same as Halcyon Days, with a slight deviation. Reworking stats for a single character will be allowed fully, but Bleeding stats from one PC to another is going to be a little more limited to avoid people gaming the system (something I myself am guilty of) to minmax characters according to certain events going on in the RP. You'll have the option to Bleed Latens from one PC to another, but you won't be capable of Bleeding across your Vigor or Esteem.

So let's go back to those 250 points real quick. Let's say you drop 125 in each of your two PCs, and one of them buys a skill the same week with those 125 points. Well now you really want another skill for that second PC, but you've only got 50 Latens left over after purchasing that skill. Sorry to say it sucks to be you, because you can only transfer that 50 Latens, not any of the stuff you just spent on a skill.

Last skill, Grandmaster, allows for the Necro to raise the dead and bring it back to life. The wording is a little loose in the ways that my first assumption was that if my comrade, a PC, dies I can bring them back to life at the cost that they lose 10% max Vigor. Since Vigor and latens is sort of linked, does this loss of Vigor have any penalties to latens? or in that fact, Esteem? Is there a cooldown to such a resurrection? or is the balancing factor the loss of Vigor?
    10% max Vigor means 10% of your maximum Vigor is getting shaved off your character. By lowering the overall total, you're affecting everything else. A dead character doesn't achieve much notoriety, and the act of bringing someone back from the dead has questionable affects on someone's health.

If your character dies, and needs a rez, they're going to need to make up some distance or else death really won't have any impact at all. You'll feel a little less keen on martyring your Grandmaster soldier knowing that it'll lose you 5k across the board. So, to put it plainly, if you're rezzed, it's 10% of your max Vigor off of all three values, and pray you weren't hoarding Latens for a big purchase because you can't spend it while a character's dead, either.

Zebra <3 Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveCreated Album pictures1000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Kan
    Credits
    Since we'll be using exa as currency, does that mean everybody starts off broke or can kan be exchanged for exa?

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdriveTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysney View Post
    Since we'll be using exa as currency, does that mean everybody starts off broke or can kan be exchanged for exa?
    There's too much Kan in circulation, inflated by bank interest and lack of things to spend it on, to consider a transfer.

Everyone will start out at the same amount. The current plan was to have everyone start at 0. While we finish working on the economy, though, I'm beginning to consider giving everyone some starting cash.

A Jolly Snowman Achievements:
    Created Album picturesTagger Second ClassOverdriveRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points
    In my skin, on earth, somewhere near Canada and the U.S.
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Kan
    Credits
    Will there be a distinction between tameable creatures(potential familiars, pets) and Beasts? (ie. evil creatures, mystic forces, etc.)
    Spoiler for BosS:

Because I can

Kan
    Credits
    The Bestiary clearly lays this out, but here's a summary:

Beasts are tameable by using the Calling of Mansuetis.

Familiars can be contracted by using the Calling of Pythonis.

Demons can be bound by using the Calling of Daemonium.

Vistra cannot be tamed. Period. At all.

The rules for each of these three are very distinct, however. To tame a beast you have to gain its trust and loyalty. To contract a Familiar you must earn their favor or trust. To bind a Demon, you must first defeat them.

Created Album picturesTagger Second ClassOverdriveRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Kan
    Credits
    Understood, so will there be a stat sheet for these different creatures? For example I understand player and beast share vigor but will the beast have:

Beast name: jiggles
    Abilty:
    Str:
    I.e.:
    I.e.:
    Or will they share the same stat sheet as the char, or will they have a miny stat sheet like a hollow or something? Will they possibly have skills or something?

Also: Will armor count as a character's single item slot? Or will there be a seperate slot(s) for armor and or weapons?
    Spoiler for BosS:

Because I can

Kan
    Credits
    Minions only have the abilities relevant to their own skill.

Beasts, while treated as Soldiers, do not receive Soldier abilities. Merely the skill level equivalent to the user's skill in Mansuetis (Tamer).

So unlike Halcyon Days, a summon will not have its own stat sheet. It'll have its own base techs and a skill level, and everything gets paid out of the tamer's/summoner's/contractor's/necromancer's/mechanist's Vigor.

Quick example: An Adept Hunter tames a beast. That beast is treated as an Adept Soldier, but doesn't get any abilities from the Soldier tree. It's just as powerful in combat as an Adept Soldier.

That isn't to say that they can't have skills, but such things would require a feat - an ability outside the skill system entirely - or a unique item that is compatible with the minion itself.

As for Armor, it doesn't take up an item slot any more than an Orpheus Flak Jacket takes up an item slot. It'll wear, tear, and break, but it won't require a unique item slot to be used. You buy it, you break it, you repair it, circle of life. Same goes for weapons, ammo, or any conventional items. Only items with extraneous abilities will take up unique items.

tl;dr no mini stat sheets, armor doesn't use unique item slots.

Kan
    Credits
    So then if armor doesn't take up a slot, how will they affect the game? for example: Say I've got a breastplate, and shoulder guards. Will their existence carry as much weight as the writers decide to give them, or will there be specific rules regarding the non extraordinary pieces? Like will the tier system affect non-player created armor as well?
    Spoiler for BosS:

Because I can

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by MinjaBlade100 View Post
    So then if armor doesn't take up a slot, how will they affect the game? for example: Say I've got a breastplate, and shoulder guards. Will their existence carry as much weight as the writers decide to give them, or will there be specific rules regarding the non extraordinary pieces? Like will the tier system affect non-player created armor as well?
    Armor will reduce incoming damage by one tier, and different materials will endure more hits.

Kan
    Credits
    How much armor can one player carry?

Also, how many teirs of damage can one player sustain before death? Or will that work akin to the Halcyon Days damage system?
    Last edited by MinjaBlade100; 06-16-2014 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler for BosS:

Because I can

Kan
    Credits
    How much armor can one player carry?

Also, how many teirs of damage can one player sustain before death? Or will that work akin to the Halcyon Days damage system?
    A player can wear one set of armor at a time. Unless it's a unique item with special properties, armor always reduces damage by one tier -- but higher-quality materials last longer. For instance, armor of mundane materials like steel or leather is only good for one round. Armor made of Caelitium (the rarest material) will last for ten rounds.

Everything kind of works on a rule of fives. For wounds, it's the HD system in that if you get hit, you make a judgment call on how bad the injury is. There are still five tiers: uninjured, minor, moderate, major, lethal. Note that a lethal wound isn't necessarily an instant-kill, but it will kill the PC if not treated.

The magnitude or damage potential of your attack is offset by the magnitude or protection potential of your target's defenses. Even someone with just a weapon can try to defend with that weapon, although they miss an opportunity to attack.

Ultimately, these numbers are there as guidelines, though: fights should usually go for story and plot before numbers. Just, make sure the numbers vaguely support what you're trying to do.

Kan
    Credits
    Thinking it's time to update the FAQ. I need to know what questions you all think I should add to it, though.

So, hit me. Let me know any questions you have or the ones that have already been answered that ought to be in there.

Kan
    Credits
    Is armor affected by magic? Or does that require specialized armor?
    Spoiler for BosS:

Because I can

Kan
    Credits
    Is armor affected by magic? Or does that require specialized armor?

Are magic attacks blocked by armor? Yes.

Not sure what else you might mean, there.

Zebra <3 Achievements:
    Kan
    Credits
    If exa becomes the currency of MD will people still writing for HD have to use exa to purchase HD items? Or will kan still be around?

Kan
    Credits
    Look at the numbers under your post count. It's a Christmas miracle.

Zebra <3 Achievements:
    Kan
    Credits
    Ohhhh hahahaha I feel slow now

Zombie Overlord Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveRecommendation Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Kan
    Credits
    Currently, to my understanding, there are three "things" called Vistra;

The symbiotic organism/entity known as "vistra"

The creature/monster hosting said entity, also called "vistra" (this is what we know as "Vistra" in the bestiary)

And lastly, the powers a player can gain as a result of defeating a host and taking on its symbiote, vistras.

It goes without saying that we should probably think of different names for each of these. Raph had a some good ideas for these;

Visonus - "Burden of the Vis"; this could be used for either the symbiote or the resultant powers.
    Still, the rampant use of "V" words can get confusing, so maybe someone's got a better idea?

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Several Zombies View Post
    Currently, to my understanding, there are three "things" called Vistra;

The symbiotic organism/entity known as "vistra"

The creature/monster hosting said entity, also called "vistra" (this is what we know as "Vistra" in the bestiary)

And lastly, the powers a player can gain as a result of defeating a host and taking on its symbiote, vistras.

It goes without saying that we should probably think of different names for each of these. Raph had a some good ideas for these;

Still, the rampant use of "V" words can get confusing, so maybe someone's got a better idea?

'Visonus' might be a common term the people of Araevis use to refer to the troubles caused by vistra, but here's what we're going with for terminology:

Pravum "Corruption" = the parasite itself. It is an embodiment of corruption.

Vistra "Outside Nature" = creatures and beings possessed or infected by a pravum.

For 'releases,' the first tier will be renamed to Magnum (Great) with the second tier as Ultimum (Ultimate). However, the idea of attaining the release is that the user is becoming a vistra. The Vistra name on your release is not referring to the abilities: it's referring to your character. It could perhaps even become the character's cognomen. Using Sid (from "Remember to Forget to Remember") as an example:

Name: Sidargen Mutus
    Vistra: Reliquum

Full name: Sidargen Mutus Reliquum, aka Sidargen the Vestige

Spoiler for Vistra Post:
    Vistra: Magnum and Ultimum

Vistra
    When the Cataclysm struck, it left much in its wake. Death, destruction, and a twisted form of life. Beasts, once ordinary, were infected by the energy now rife in the land: a sentient mass of visae which its host contracted not unlike a parasite. The parasites are known as pravum and their hosts, vistra.

Nowadays, vistra are hunted both for the resources they contain, for sport, and for reward. Many lives have been lost to the beasts, and particular ones still roam even decades after the majority of their destruction may have been wrought. It is not uncommon to see those once wronged to desire closure or revenge of some kind.

Care must be taken when slaying a vistra. The pravum will die with its host, so if another suitable host is nearby, the parasite will attempt to 'jump ship' before that happens. This could result in taking other another nearby creature, forcing the hunter to fight another battle... or could even end in the pravum trying to take over the hunter.

Some are considered brave, others foolish, but there are those who invite that attack. Those who survive the battle of wills describe it as battling the true form of the pravum in the landscape of their own mind.

Taming
    Taming a pravum is no mere contest. To slay a host alone requires great skill and is often a hard-won battle. Yet this is only the first half of the process to tame the parasitic power. Once the pravum has taken you as a new host, a battle of wills begins. Any writer wishing to obtain their magnum and ultimum must undergo a requisite chapter or collaboration suppressing the will of the pravum.

The process is often violent, as both wills vie for control of the host body, and usually takes the form of a battle in the landscape of the mind against the raw form of the parasite. Win or lose, the hunter becomes a vistra in the end: the only question is whether they become a tool of the parasite or its new master. Those who succeed find themselves in control, and with new power as their trophy.

Magnum
    Magnum may be submitted once a Taming is verified. Two abilities slots are afforded to them, each unique to the user. Every vistra displays some physical signs of their possession upon their body, although some are more apparent than others.

Ultimum
    When a vistra’s peak has been struck, often the host begins to suffer from a fresh onslaught. In a desire for more power, the parasite attempts to whittle away at the host’s will. In such a case, an ultimum is required. Often vague in nature, an ultimum serves as a modifier to a vistra’s abilities. Amplifying and stabilizing them entirely, the key to a given vistra’s ultimum is often rooted in their original host.

The ultimum must be a trophy taken from a great deed relevant to the vistra's power or original host that serves to command the pravum's respect, reminding it that they, the host, are in charge.

With an ultimum, a vistra gains two more abilities, both unique and more powerful than their original ones.

Ex.
    [ Magnum Genesis ]
    [ Form ]
    Taken from its prior host, Gio, Genesis has replaced the damaged robotic arm of Able's. It is made of the Demvir's diluted Caelitium casing, and is all but unbreakable. A single large gear juts from the shoulder like a pauldron, and whirs madly while Genesis is in use.

[ Alpha ]
    Time is an abstract concept, formed into an arbitrary set of circumstances defined by the beings which deigned to monitor it in the first place. Alpha, the first, exists as a loophole. An anomaly. Once per round, Genesis may whir into life, stopping - ever so briefly - time itself.

This affects a 30m radius around Able, and lasts but a brief moment before fading immediately. He is rendered unable to attack during this time, his focus entirely upon creating Alpha. Instead, he may make a single movement for up to 10m in any direction. To those affected, it is as though he has simply teleported, but a keen outside observer may deduce its effect.

[ Omega ]
    In times of yore, those with prophetic abilities were praised for their capability to peer into the future. Nowadays, it is thought impossible. Self-proclaimed psychics and peddlers of prophecy are debunked as scammers and cheats. Yet, Omega remains one of the last distinct possibilities for true clairvoyance.

For up to three times in a day, Genesis may grant Able a prophetic vision. The time of the vision may be controlled by Able and extends for up to a 24 hour period, but the further ahead (or behind) he attempts to discern, the longer and more exhausting the process. The placement of the vision is always pertinent to whatever topic Able is occupied with.

[ Ultimum Exodus ]
    [ Form ]
    Upgraded from its previous casing, Exodus exists as a pair of Vitatium bars strapped vertically down Genesis. Taken from the power core of the airship, Veritas, the rods glow with latent life that spreads to the entirety of Able's arm while Exodus is in use. A pair of emerald wings sprouts, ethereal, from the arm.

[ Psalms ]
    Space, and time. Hand in hand, the two are absolutes in the universe, immovable. Not for Exodus. Bending the very fabric of space-time, Able is capable of plucking any single object from an observed point in space-time for up to a 24 hour timezone. The object is moved to present time for a single round, within Able's vicinity (or hand, as the case may be), before being returned to its previous point.

Cheating the universe is no easy feat, however, and once used Chronicles cannot be reactivated for three rounds. Objects in the present time cannot be drawn upon, and to draw any given object requires Able to know its precise location at the given point in time. He is incapable of drawing upon living beings.

[ Chronicles ]
    When all else fails, Able must turn to an absolute point: outright time travel. Calling upon the full power of Exodus and Genesis, Able is capable of teleporting his own form back in time for up to 24 hours prior, for a single round. Any actions taken during this brief window of time are permanent, and the process is extremely exhausting, capable of being used only once per week.

Able is unable to control the placement of the travel, and is locked to whatever location he exists in at the time of travel. Once completed, he returns to the same spot he was prior, regardless of distance traveled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12