Thread: utility and dependancy

Senior Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits

utility and dependancy

Having a few growing pains with new character (Sarah). I like how she currently is personality-wise as writing her as a shy but knowledgeable person trying to overcome her personal weaknesses through her knowledge of her weaknesses and her flexibility. The problem I'm having is getting her combat abilities and stats to reflect that her strength is in her utility. Every idea I have had in order to plan ahead for undermines with with too much focus on raw power or an inability to enterprise on the utility by herself. Does anyone have any tips or advice on hitting a good balance?

Lambonite Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Kan
    Credits
    What do you mean? That her stat growth undermines your ability to grow the character organically? You could have a secondary PC sucking up the numbers if that's the case. Meanwhile you could write her the way you intend without the stats rushing your sense of her development. Or submit an item that limits her stats maybe. I hope I understood your question lol

Kan
    Credits
    its not so much her getting bigger as either I start ending up with alot of offensive kidou or she just tickles beyond all the debuffing and crowd control's help

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdriveTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Kan
    Credits
    Don't be afraid to be weak.

When I first started here, I made a decision that Sayis would have a critical flaw he needed to work past: his thoughts got jumbled when he tried to speak aloud. When he tried to cast a spell, the incantation came out wrong almost every time. Despite that, he was always interested in kidou and so most of his stat points went into kidou. He became a library for knowledge on spells he could not successfully cast.

Early on, he had to get around this by only casting spells with incredibly short incantations (like Big Bang). Characters around him often mocked his inability to cast or tried to persuade him to give up kidou and focus on zanjutsu. When he learned how to bypass incantations, it ensured that his spells were always weakened -- he could never cast most spells at full power, meaning 1/3rd to 2/3rd of his reiatsu spent was being wasted.

This was a problem that persisted all the way until Sayis attained Bankai, gaining a deeper understanding of himself and becoming more confident in what he could and could not do. That inner strength allowed him to overcome the stuttering and speak clearly, even to people whom he was previously terrified of -- like Leon, Shiroi, and Louhi.

Having the stats doesn't necessarily override character flaws and limitations. Build your character not to take the best advantage of their stats... but rather to be the character you want to write. It's a game and stats are part of it but it's an RP and your story is more important than 'winning.'

Sanbantai no Taichou Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Kan
    Credits
    Another thing that might be interesting to note is that Nana, who's almost hit 100k reiatsu now, has lost more fights than she has won them. I always kind of looked at the stats not so much as a measure of power, but a measure of time spend writing.
    Dafuq bro?

•Amaterasu Nana•
    •Halcyon Days RP•

Sanbantai no Taichou//Application Staff

Homoerotic Subtext Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Kan
    Credits
    Well, you never told us what 'shy' would implicate on your char since being 'shy' can be manifested in different ways.

Does it mean that she'd rather read books/do 'me' activities? Then, she can focus on the utilitarian aspects of kidou. If she's outgoing, maybe she can go for the offensive ones. If she's the quieter, not-so-outdoorsy type, she might opt for defensive or offensive but not showy kidou.

Does it mean that she avoids people? A focus on hohou or defensive abilities/techs might be good.

Does it mean that she practices but just isn't keen on showing it? Good. That means that her stats can be basically anything. The crucial point is how she handles her growing strength.

There are many ways to handle it, really. The first thing is to recognize how her shyness is manifested. Is it avoidance of people? Is it fear of talking? Is it the lack of concern? The next would be to consider what 'utility' she's good at. Is she good at deciphering lines of code? Intricacies of reiatsu? History of the Gotei? Medicine? Stalking? Then, consider what might be considered 'functional' for that utility.

I'll give you an example:
    Ansherina is a shy person. She's also a scaredy-cat, awkward and reserved. But she's perseverant in her studies and is knowledgeable about the human body. To reflect her shy personality in combat, she uses chiyudou (healing kidou) in unconventional ways. She also uses a lot of subtle kidou. She's high in kidou (I mean like, 80% of her stats) because it gives her the flexibility of being able to use it in her work and in combat. I imagined that she would be able to train on her weapon and hand-to-hand combat skills, however, she avoids combat unless extremely necessary.

Her ultimate weakness is her own illness, which prevents her from over-exerting herself in physical pursuits (most especially, battles). She knows her illness, what it does and how it triggers. But it doesn't stop her from pursuing what she's good at. In that case, while she has her own inherent faults, she compensates the lack of power by advancing her skills towards being a medic, because that's a function that she's actually good at.

All in all, the stat build and combat techs Sarah uses depends on you, however, it you really want it to go hand in hand with her personality, it will depend on how you'll use the stats, not the number per se.

Kan
    Credits
    Thanks for the examples guys. Think I have a better grasp of using RP to circumvent power creep.
    Got summin lined up now, hopefully it works in practice