Thread: Old face coming back, the neighborhood has changed!

Senior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    The Aperture Science Testing and Enrichment Center
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits

Old face coming back, the neighborhood has changed!

Hey, this is TheBleachDoctor. Many of you may remember me, whether fondly or not.
    So I've been sitting at home, blissfully unaware of the resurrection of this Forum, believing that BleachForums was Perma-dead.

So seeing this forums alive and well again has been great. I'm kind of sad that I missed out on... how long has this been up? I have no clue.

Anyways, I was wondering, where did the RPG section go? You know, the one that had users make RP threads. As in Misty Moon Inn, Spam Wars, you know, those guys. Where did they go? I'm hoping they're still around somewhere, because Misty Moon Inn had a lot of content in it that I don't want to just vanish.

Credit to Fallen_Angel for sig and zan!
    Spoiler for The Official Time Traveler of BF:
    Spoiler for Misty Moon Inn:
    Spoiler for Shikai (Kurayami Nikutaika):
    Spoiler for Bankai (Kuroi Hono'o Nikutaika):

The Lily Girl Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second Class1 year registered
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Kan
    Credits
    Hey person I don't know referencing things ti which I am unfamiliar! Welcome back!

I'm Time Lady Katie (the artist formerly known as Romana), writer of Lily Girls' Reviews for our blog and designated person to tell you to join HD's RP and be a Shinigami of the Tenth Division!

Join the Tenth Division. We have girls and telekinesis.

That said, maybe one of the olds can direct you to Misty Moon Inn, sounds really interesting!

Most Powerful Kidou-type Zanpakutou
    CARIES SANCTIMONIA LASHIEL

Kidou Staff for Halcyon Days

Because Brown Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Kan
    Credits
    Hey there and welcome back!

The RP section, or at least the version you're talking about, doesn't exist on this forum anymore. Halcyon Days is the largest RP on the site right now. As far as Spam Wars and such goes, none of those really exist anymore. There's a few old Spam War...ers... HD, like me, but we write only in HD now.

Moderator Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Lady Katie View Post
    Hey person I don't know referencing things ti which I am unfamiliar! Welcome back!

I'm Time Lady Katie (the artist formerly known as Romana), writer of Lily Girls' Reviews for our blog and designated person to tell you to join HD's RP and be a Shinigami of the Tenth Division!
    Join the Tenth Division. We have girls and telekinesis.

That said, maybe one of the olds can direct you to Misty Moon Inn, sounds really interesting!
    Now now, if he was asking about HD he would have said so.

The site was up a few good months after BF went down. We all had a good long hiatus and got things kicking here on Manga Den. I don't know exactly what happened to the minor RP stuff, but I have to guess that there just wasn't enough interest generated by the majority of people who were active during the time (read: the members of HD who collectively talk back and forth via chatroom). A lot of us spend our time writing for HD, and so the minor RP stuff that was active during BF most likely wasn't a concern, and will likely remain that way until the site has enough interest for them to warrant an entire section of their own.
    The Gotei's Personal Gardner & Captain of the 5th

[Cred goes to Lil & Nell respectively]

Social1000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second Class1 year registered
    Kan
    Credits
    ... but in the meantime ...

-is dragged off by Hare-

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Haresuno View Post
    Now now, if he was asking about HD he would have said so.

The site was up a few good months after BF went down. We all had a good long hiatus and got things kicking here on Manga Den. I don't know exactly what happened to the minor RP stuff, but I have to guess that there just wasn't enough interest generated by the majority of people who were active during the time (read: the members of HD who collectively talk back and forth via chatroom). A lot of us spend our time writing for HD, and so the minor RP stuff that was active during BF most likely wasn't a concern, and will likely remain that way until the site has enough interest for them to warrant an entire section of their own.
    Okay, I understand that.
    But can I find those threads archived anywhere?

And damn, this has been up for that long? I missed way too much. Guess I missed the memo that everyone got... except for me.
    Anyways, I am (was) responsible for MMI, and when the Forums tanked we were in the middle of a big finale "season". I don't like loose ends, so I wanted to tie it up. Maybe revive it, even.
    Even though revival would be tough. MMI was a purely narrative story, powered by the players. Popularity and attendance frequently waned and rose with time.
    Last edited by TheBleachDoctor; 06-05-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdriveTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Kan
    Credits
    We have the backups of BleachForums in their entirety, but only transferred over the bits that the remaining people had the most interest in.

Now that we have the Bleachforums.com domain, there have been some talks about bringing back the original forum on that domain, but right now the hard part is figuring out how to manage the content. To bring back the forum there would require an additional vB license. Importing the unused backups under the current license at this point would be a risk to all of the new content that has been added afterward.

As for the history here: after BF went down, I stayed in contact with Adam (the person in charge at the time). His personal situation continued to worsen, and it became clear that BF would be down for an extended period. Not content with sitting and waiting, I secured this domain, created a free forum for new stuff. It was in November of 2011 that this site opened.

It was sometime after that, December or January, I believe, when Adam gave us the backups of BF and we were able to import some of the old content. With that, we upgraded to a more legitimate vb license and have been moving along ever since. We only regained the bleachforums.com domain in April. Later this month, we'll make a decision what to do with it.

Do you think there'd be a lot of interest in seeing the old forum restored right back to where it was before?

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swaswj View Post
    We have the backups of BleachForums in their entirety, but only transferred over the bits that the remaining people had the most interest in.

Now that we have the Bleachforums.com domain, there have been some talks about bringing back the original forum on that domain, but right now the hard part is figuring out how to manage the content. To bring back the forum there would require an additional vB license. Importing the unused backups under the current license at this point would be a risk to all of the new content that has been added afterward.

As for the history here: after BF went down, I stayed in contact with Adam (the person in charge at the time). His personal situation continued to worsen, and it became clear that BF would be down for an extended period. Not content with sitting and waiting, I secured this domain, created a free forum for new stuff. It was in November of 2011 that this site opened.

It was sometime after that, December or January, I believe, when Adam gave us the backups of BF and we were able to import some of the old content. With that, we upgraded to a more legitimate vb license and have been moving along ever since. We only regained the bleachforums.com domain in April. Later this month, we'll make a decision what to do with it.

Do you think there'd be a lot of interest in seeing the old forum restored right back to where it was before?
    I definitely am interested. I'm not sure if there will be a flood of interest, but I'm sure some people would be glad to have the old forums back.

And I know that while the independent RP sections were falling out of favor towards the end of the original BF, there were a few threads still carrying on strong. I'm not sure how many of the old MMI crowd is still hanging around, but I know I'd like to finish what we started.

Edit: And I searched Misty Moon Inn on the search engine, apparently some of my old RPers were trying to find MMI again two years ago when this forum migrated, but nobody gave me the notice that we moved. Awkward.

And when did I stop my old habit of coloring all my text blue? I should bring that back.
    Last edited by TheBleachDoctor; 06-05-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Kan
    Credits
    I only found out about the migration because I'm Facebook friends with Pho and Mango.

HD isn't migrating back to BF is it?

Veteran1000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    User with most referrers

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Kan
    Credits
    Honestly I think it would be pretty cool to bring Bleach Forums back. There was plenty of activity outside of Halcyon Days and I'm sure people could be contacted via email or something to let them know the site was back. Aside from that, the RP originated on Bleach Forums and then went the split happened that created Halcyon Days occurred Bleach Forums was kind enough to be the home of the RP once more. That being said, it would be a cool way to give back to the Bleach Forums community by literally giving the people their community back.

That is, of course, if people are interested in it being back. I never really did anything outside HD, except participating in a sig contest or two. But I still think it would be neat.
    Spoiler for Sorm:

Spoiler for Old Stuff:
    Spoiler for Thirteenth Division Sigs:

Spoiler for Kazuta:

Amazing Sig thanks to Sing.

Amazing Sig thanks to Steph.

Kansuke Yamana, 11th Division, Third Seat
    Formerly on HD Application Staff and just keeping a mention that I was in here because... Why not?

Kan
    Credits
    I only found out about the migration because I'm Facebook friends with Pho and Mango.

HD isn't migrating back to BF is it?
    I don't know, I'm just an old member.

But I was wondering if someone could give me the old data on the RP section, I want to go back and look over some MMI stuff. It could easily be adapted for this forum's writing fanfiction section.

The Crunchy One Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Kan
    Credits
    I'm not really that old of a face but I AM coming back XD Hopefully my return chapter will be ready soon so I can reapply quickly(cuz I assume I've been gone longer than 6 month's so I gots to reapply).

Thanks to Finny for the great Div. Banner!

Tod Kenly, Vizards - Cerberus Agent.

Shiin Tessai, Kumogakure - Genin

Spoiler for Translation thingy...:
    something I use for Kanji translation...
    http://nihongo.j-talk.com/kanji/

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganner Rhysode View Post
    I'm not really that old of a face but I AM coming back XD Hopefully my return chapter will be ready soon so I can reapply quickly(cuz I assume I've been gone longer than 6 month's so I gots to reapply).

I'm sure you would have to, but this thread is mostly me asking the forum administrators about my old RP thread that I ran on Bleach Forums over two years ago.

Kan
    Credits
    But honestly, I'm trying to get my hands on the content in the old RP threads. Can anybody help me with this?

Kan
    Credits
    We've been discussing the best way to go about that! Rest assured we're going to do something, it's just what to do with the dta and how we access it that's the big 'what's next' moment!

Kan
    Credits
    We've been discussing the best way to go about that! Rest assured we're going to do something, it's just what to do with the dta and how we access it that's the big 'what's next' moment!
    Okay, I'll just be here then.

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBleachDoctor View Post
    Okay, I'll just be here then.
    To explain a little further: the way the backups work, we can't read them unless we put them on a server. If we export them to this server, it will overwrite any post/thread with matching IDs. We can't really control how much comes over, and I'm not willing to overwrite that much of the forum, so doing it on this server isn't an option.

Therefore, in order for us to get to what you're looking for, we need to decide whether we're going to continue as one site or reopen Bleachforums as a second site. Since that commands a pretty hefty investment (~$300), with no sure way to earn that money back, it's not a decision that can be made lightly.

Assuming we reopen Bleachforums as a separate site, we'll be bringing it back exactly as it was back then, minus any PMs (as a result of an agreement with Adam), and with the Halcyon Days RP sections redirecting here. Your posts will be waiting there. In the meantime, you may want to try googling the Wayback Machine and see if it has any archives from your thread.

Kan
    Credits
    To explain a little further: the way the backups work, we can't read them unless we put them on a server. If we export them to this server, it will overwrite any post/thread with matching IDs. We can't really control how much comes over, and I'm not willing to overwrite that much of the forum, so doing it on this server isn't an option.

Therefore, in order for us to get to what you're looking for, we need to decide whether we're going to continue as one site or reopen Bleachforums as a second site. Since that commands a pretty hefty investment (~$300), with no sure way to earn that money back, it's not a decision that can be made lightly.

Assuming we reopen Bleachforums as a separate site, we'll be bringing it back exactly as it was back then, minus any PMs (as a result of an agreement with Adam), and with the Halcyon Days RP sections redirecting here. Your posts will be waiting there. In the meantime, you may want to try googling the Wayback Machine and see if it has any archives from your thread.
    Alright, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Edit: Alright, just tried that. They don't have that specific section archived.
    Last edited by TheBleachDoctor; 06-08-2013 at 11:03 PM.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Kan
    Credits

The soul king is back.

Hi everyone! Its great to be back here!

Kan
    Credits

So just to be clear, there's no way I can view the Small scale RPGs section from the backup?

Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBleachDoctor View Post
    So just to be clear, there's no way I can view the Small scale RPGs section from the backup?
    Right. Even I can't view them until they're loaded to a server.

Sev has been fighting with it for the past month when time allows. Unfortunately, I don't have the extra money to purchase an additional vB license, so we're trying to port the backups to a free forum software. That has proven more difficult than anticipated. We're working with some technical support to see what we can do, but response time has been slow.

I try to avoid soliciting donations, but that's what it might take if we end up requiring a vB license. Right now we're still looking at our other options.

Kan
    Credits
    Lily Girls is going to be grabbing our own domain at some point soon, Will. We can put up BF on there before we formally open, but that won't be until September or October.

Kan
    Credits
    Lily Girls is going to be grabbing our own domain at some point soon, Will. We can put up BF on there before we formally open, but that won't be until September or October.
    So what does mean?