Administrator Achievements:
    VeteranSocialOverdriveTagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 934
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits

Exclamation Forum Donations Discussion

Forum Donations

First, this is an announcement that I've decided to change the reward for donations from XP to Kan. If you donate using the Donate button or going here in the Market, you will receive Kan as a thank-you for your support!

Next, though, I want to talk about what donations mean.

One thing I want to make clear: the forum is not at any risk. The operating costs are, currently, about $15 per month, with an extra $15 once per year to re-license the domain. I am more than capable of supporting this cost, and the donations I have received until now have helped to offset that. The initial set-up costs have by now all been taken care of. Do not donate thinking you need to in order to save the forums!

I do want to see this forum grow, though. We may need to expand on our offerings to bring in more people, but more than that, the more members we have, the more we may need to upgrade.

I'd also like to start doing more events, like writing contests, or offering different prizes for gaming challenges or perhaps something for NaNoWriMo this year.

Let's discuss what the donations will go toward.

• Forum operating costs, first and foremost.
    • Future forum expansions, if needed.
    • Prizes for contests and events hosted here.
    • Possible commissions related to HD itself or events.

At no point will any donation money be used for personal reasons. The donations are meant to maintain and improve MangaDen, not for profit.

I thank each and every one of you who has donated thus far, and who plans to donate in the future. Because of you, MangaDen has continued to thrive and will hopefully continue to grow. Now I want to hear what all of you have to say about donations. Is there something you'd like to see? Can you think of something you'd like your donations to go toward? Post any thoughts on the topic here.

The epitome of FAILURE and BLAME Achievements:
    VeteranSocialYour first GroupOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Kan
    Credits

In all honesty, I'd like to better develop the gaming portion of our site.

I believe there is a lot of potential there and it won't be extremely hard to maintain in combination with the RP (without killing one or the other). I think if we did use contributions for prizes for gaming competitions then we need to change the format of the contests/competitions and also focus it on certain times of the year when people can truly play (kind of like PMs). Not all prizes would have to be cash based; we could use the donations to buy commissions for RPers or have a special prize to auction off.

So, in order to be more impactful than just mere vague comments, I've listed ideas for expanding the gaming piece below:

• Let's Plays
      • Now that I have a recording mechanism I'm more than willing to take the lead on this
      • People could also rotate as to bring in more interesting commentators and/or different personalities

• Game Reviews
      • Two sub-forums here: one for older games, one for newer games (Or just one area until we expand and gain more users)

• Community Game Nights
      • Once per month we pick a game for everyone to play online with one another
      • Playing more frequently is encouraged

• Contests
      • Who can beat X game the fastest
      • Who can complete 100% of the game first
      • Who can beat X series first
      • Most kills(online)/trophies/achievements/etc. gained

In addition, to borrow from SpeedDemosArchive, we could use gaming to contribute to donations. People could donate money for the let's plays/contests to get people to do weird glitches/stupid ideas/name characters weird things. It wouldn't need to be a lot, maybe a few dollars here or there.

Well, that's my two cents about things. Elaborate and discuss.

The Lily Girl Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsOverdriveRecommendation Second Class1 year registered
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Kan
    Credits
    I use my personal tumblr to do a lot of gaming reviews and random commentary, so I'd be willing to be 'that JRPG fangirl' for the things Kago's looking for. Hell, by week after next I'll probably be able to write a review of Atelier Ayesha.

But we should also up the ante on our anime focus as well. We ARE and RP based on an anime, after all. I'm founding partner of the Lily Girls anime review blog that's starting up soon, an expert on shoujo-ai, and keep pretty up-to-date on new series - I could probably review things like Arcana Family or K or those sorts of recent titles. That's not really something to put our money toward, but it bears mentioning in light of Kago's suggestions.

Other than that, I'm actually a huge fan of using the money on commissions. I'm getting some from my girlfriend, and I know we have some talented people here and other talented people we all know. The commissions could be useful to commemorate certain RP events would be amazing. How many of us wouldn't want to see an epic moment like that? I can picture the beautiful sight of Adelaide unleashing Soulfire Kokuryuha on Azra'eil, or the Captains clashing with Theron, or taishuus, or that kind of thing. And it would be a remarkable bang for our buck.

Most Powerful Kidou-type Zanpakutou
    CARIES SANCTIMONIA LASHIEL

Kidou Staff for Halcyon Days

Moderator Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsSocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by swaswj View Post
    I'd also like to start doing more events, like writing contests, or offering different prizes for gaming challenges or perhaps something for NaNoWriMo this year.
    Halcyon Days and Mangaden would be the reason I finally do NaNoWriMo. I've always put off doing the thing because I've proven that in half a day I can write 12k. If effort was pushed for writers here to expand, you'd see a lot of variety writing from me.

Something I can suggest is something, that the forum I was apart of before here started just as I was leaving, is this: writing competitions.

They did it weekly, but due to how HD runs and the potential problems it would cost, we could do a every other week competition or a monthly competition and it'd even be simple to set up.

Bases would be that each round would have a theme. Contestants would submit their entries via PM or - better probably - posts themselves. We set up a poll for readers, and let them vote on who they believe won. Not too certain about what we could do for rewards, but some minor idea includes choosing the next topic for the following contest.

As far as gaming or anime goes, I have nothing against expanding the two - but I do want to point out that we did try and make the homepage of Manga Den like this. Kago's Unbeaten Games Saga, and Finny's Autumnal Water Fall are currently the only things posting there. Using those and the homepage to an advantage should be something to consider.

I myself wouldn't mind doing reviews on books, anime, TV shows, or video games. The only thing is that you wouldn't see them aside from -maybe- once a month or so.
    The Gotei's Personal Gardner & Captain of the 5th

[Cred goes to Lil & Nell respectively]

The epitome of FAILURE and BLAME Achievements:
    VeteranSocialYour first GroupOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Romana View Post
    But we should also up the ante on our anime focus as well. We ARE and RP based on an anime, after all.
    I totally agree with Katie. We do need to offer a more robust anime/manga selection and discussion area. Spoilers and such would be nice; however, I have nothing that I can contribute to help aside from giving my opinions on manga each week.

I'll leave this section up to the professionals.

Senior Member Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures1 year registered500 Experience Points

Kan
    Credits
    I'm not quite sure where this would fit in but podcasts are fairly easy to do. All one really needs is a decent mic and some recording software. It might also help that there's a built-in audience here. They're a good alternative to video-game commentary for those of us that lack the recording/gaming equipment for it but still want to talk/rant about stuff.

Because Brown Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience PointsSocialCreated Album pictures
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Kan
    Credits
    I like the podcast idea, considering it's pretty easy to do and there's a whole lot of topics that we can cover. Plus as long as one person, the topic leader, organizes the list of topics to cover and moderates it a bit, a complete podcast can be recorded in like 45 mins tops.

Senior Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Kan
    Credits
    I'd think expanding on the writing spectrum of the forum would be definitely beneficial. Partaking in NaNoWriMo, doing our own thing of a similar vein, making a writing support group where every month or so where members can share their original work and get consturctive criticism on a collective level and monthly/semimonthly competitions would help existing members as well as be viable for advertising and bringing in new members. Podcast wise, I always wanted to do one and thought it could be helpful as well. Personally I listen ones centered around geek related topics (gaming, television, comics, movies, etc.), comedy and writing. So I would suggest maybe a writing discussion podcast based around writing from all aspects and fields (books, games, t, movies, anime, comics, tropes, etc).
    Zalin Venkar - Former 8th Division Taichou
    12th Daikidouchou of the Kidoushuu

Conversely, I am Kaze