Thread: Attack of the Killer Mosquitoes?

Junior Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class100 Experience Points3 months registered

Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 50
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits

Attack of the Killer Mosquitoes?

'Suicide bombers'
    These mosquitoes are created by injecting mosquito eggs in the lab with a killer gene. It produces a protein called tTA, which stops the mosquitoes' cells from turning on other genes which are essential for the bugs to survive.

The resulting GM male mosquitoes are then released into the wild to breed with non-GM females, producing offspring genetically programmed to die well before reproductive age.

The company says that as the number of GM males introduced into an environment increases, the lower the chances the non-GM males have of breeding with non-GM females, until eventually the mosquito population can be effectively eliminated.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19091880

The concept of genetically altering insects isn't new (Africanized killer bees still scares the shit out of me) there is still a lingering trepidation in the back of my mind when I think about it. I am usually pro technology even when ethical boundaries are pushed, but with something like this I feel there are too many variables such as the effects on the ecosystem and humans where I don't feel comfortable with the idea.
    ---

The King of the North Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassSocial
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Kan
    Credits
    I have a burning desire to get every mosquitoe in the world, dump them all in a furnace, and fry the little buggers.

But ya I dunno if anything other than birds and spiders eat these, and how well they will find food after they are gone.

Once more I howl my cry to battle. Once more I stand and protect what I must defend.