Thread: Tutorials, Question, and Adivce for Fanart and Coloring!

Senior Member Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Kan
    Credits

Tutorials, Question, and Adivce for Fanart and Coloring!

Have a question about what to use on your fanart? Do you need help knowing where to get supplies or what technique will create the effect you'd like to acheive?

Perhaps you just have a useful hint that others could find helpful?

Do you know of any tutorials that are useful that you think could benefit the other members here?

This is where it all goes! <3

-= Muffins!=-

arwen_luna
    My brother and sister (the starving artists >,>) always stress this and I agree. Line quality. It's the difference between someone who draws well and an expert. I try to work on my line quality myself because I'm not perfect at it, but I want anyone who draws to please take notice of this. When you are drawing someone/something, notice of the thickness and thinness of the lines you are drawing as opposed to that which you are drawing from. If your lines are always the same thickness then your work will look static. It takes time to figure out good line quality. It is important to look at a lot of different pieces (good pieces, even some manga has inferior line quality) of work to see how their lines are drawn.

Another tip from my brother. If he picked up anything in art college it was to have references when you draw. It is absolutely integral to your development as an artist. If you don't look at anything when you draw, then you're not going to learn how to draw. Your everyday life is a reference. You cannot escape it, and you have to use it to your advantage.
    Of course drawing "from your head" is important to do to see if your skills from referencing and study have stuck. We reference in order to be able to draw freely and with out reference. When I was young (and stupid) I would only draw from my head, and I didn't learn a thing. Reference drawing does not make a piece inferior. Painting a landscape you are looking at is "reference drawing", and it's what many accomplished artists did. Drawing is seeing all the color, shade, shape, etc in the world and expressing it. I don't know whether it's the common foolish pride of youth or a disinformation campaign spread by some so-called "notable", but drawing from reference is not to be looked down upon.

Babbo
    There are drawing books out there that have gone out of print that are pretty much spread all over the interweb (to the best of babbo's knowledge it is legal to download them; project gutenburg (gutenburg.org) has some up too). Andrew Loomis's books are particularly widespread. Figure drawing for all it's worth was one of the first figure drawing books babbo ever opened. Been meaning to get a paper copy forever but it would cost somewhere around $100 >.> Jack Hamm's Drawing the head and figure isn't half bad either ($10.00 or so just about anywhere (amazon for instance)). Anyone else got some book suggestions? Babbo's been meaning to get into some good figure drawing books but just haven't had the time <.<

Loomis stuffs:

Andrew Loomis - Creative Illustration
    Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands
    Andrew Loomis - Eye Of The Painter
    Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing for all it's Worth
    Andrew Loomis - Fun WIth a Pencil
    Andrew Loomis - Successful Drawing

Links:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/11338870...full.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/11339031...full.part2.rar

Starky-08
    You should set them up into diff threads for example:

Bleach fanart in a certain thread
    Other fanart in a certain thread, and what aint in much site
    A Hentai fanart thread, I have nowhere to show off me hentai

Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Kan
    Credits
    I have a major question: Where can I downlaod the best photoshop (so far) online (free or not free whichever)!? Or should I just go to the store and look for it? And still which one to look for?

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by Akane Yokutsu View Post
    I have a major question: Where can I downlaod the best photoshop (so far) online (free or not free whichever)!? Or should I just go to the store and look for it? And still which one to look for?
    If ur going to download it free, you have to have a crack.

And the best version is out in store.

Spoiler for Photoshop CS4 Extended Version:

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Kan
    Credits
    I got a question... I have a thread on custom hollowfication (check it out) and I was wondering, should I draw the hollow mask and place it on Toshiro, or should I make it on the computer? What programs could let me create high-quality or high-res images?
    Thanks Peoples.
    oI'm Hungry, somebody give me a slice of pie and some root beer...

Docile
    one trick that helps me is to study other artists images, take note of there proportions, compositions and lines, keep an eye out for the lesser details, the ones that dont stand out straight away as this can often help add more depth and movement to the image, after all the lesser details are there to bring out the more noticable detail.

aswell as this if your working on an image, an you have access to a scanner, scan in different stages of your image, and send them to a friend, ask them to tell you what they think is wrong with it, make sure you say "wrong" because then they think you know somethings wrong with it but just cant pin point it. when they finally say "nothing" then you know your on the right track, most importantly tho dont take offence by what they say, this trick also helps with improving proprtions, an extra set of eyes is always good for picking up on things that slipped by you.

most of all, enjoy it...dont be afraid to try something new, you may think it a master piece at the time but look back at it in a couple of weeks time an see if your still pleased with it, if so kep looking back untill you start to notice whats wrong with it, this is a good sign that your improving, when you critisize your previous work and start to notice little imperfections, dont bother changing them on that image...draw it out again, it'll look a lot better.

hope this helps anyone who is intrested in drawing

ah infact, on last thing,
    try and do a few random sketches first, a couple of warm up images so to speak, jsut to get you creativity flowing and your hand-eye co-ordination warmed up for your next masterpiece

Member Achievements:

Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Kan
    Credits
    guys i am a noob at postin fan arts so one qusetion
    do u always have to set up a link to be able3 to post enlarged fan arts
    a quick reply to my private message anyone
    thank u
    BEWARE the soul slayer is here to reap your souls

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Member Achievements:

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Kan
    Credits
    Looks like this thread has been sitting stale for a while, but I figured I'd add whatever I have anyway.

To answer soul_slayer>'s question, flickr is pretty good, or deviantart. I personally use flickr.

As for drawing, I draw on the computer with Sketchbook Pro, Manga Studio, and Corel Painter Essentials, and I find that the common theme is LAYERS. Layering is your best friend when it comes to digital art. It really helps to break your art down into individual layers as granularly as you can manage. Say, arms on one layer, leg on another, base color on one, shadow on another, and so on. You can merge them later if you prefer, but it really helps to be able to correct one without messing up other portions of your drawing.

Among the 3 pieces of software I use, I find Sketchbook Pro is the best for sketching and coloring if you like using solid colors or paintbrushing. If you prefer to use different styles of painting (crayons, watercolor, oil painting, etc), then Painter Essentials is the way to go. If you want pre-canned patterns (snowflakes, sparkles, music notes, flowers, etc), texturing, panels, speech bubbles, etc, then Manga Studio is your friend.
    Favorite Quote:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Man, we're going through captains quicker than toilet paper." - Hirako Shinji

3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Kan
    Credits
    Do you think that art work looks better colored or uncolored? I know uncolored shows flaws, but coloring-if you don'd do it right-may cheapen the quality. What should I do?
    "This is not a negotiation, it's an order."
    "Do not lose your composure, do not break your stance, stretch out your awareness, and do not let your guard down for even a second."
    "You are a fool Kurosaki Ichigo. You challenge an opponent whose strength terrifies you and think that you can win. It is beyond my comprehension. If it is due to what you Humans call a 'heart', it is because of that heart that you suffer injuries and it is because of that heart that you will lose your life."
    "No matter how similar your appearance and techniques may be to those of an Arrancar their power is as far apart as heaven and earth." -Ulquiorra

"Inferior beings such as yourselves irritating me to this extent and even forcing me to fight you at full strength. That is the very definition of a "bad joke". -Szayel

"I'll show him what you get when you mess around with someone else's prey."
    -Grimmjow

"Only idiots quote themselves." -Gin

All quotes from http://bleach.wikia.com

Member Achievements:

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Kan
    Credits
    Quote Originally Posted by UlquiorraCifer0321 View Post
    Do you think that art work looks better colored or uncolored? I know uncolored shows flaws, but coloring-if you don'd do it right-may cheapen the quality. What should I do?
    I personally find that drawings come to life when they're colored...what do you mean by having the quality cheapened by not coloring right away?
    Favorite Quote:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Man, we're going through captains quicker than toilet paper." - Hirako Shinji

Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Kan
    Credits
    I prefer uncoloured. :P But both are fine to me.

I LOVE KAGEROZA-KUN!
    JOIN HIS FANCLUB

(official annoying fangirl who will "Kageroza-kun" you to DEATH)
    Spoiler for You have been warned.:

Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun! Kageroza-kun!

Elliptical Diffusion (my game) // My Art // My Kageroza-kun BLEACH Art // My Musick

Homoerotic Subtext Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive1000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Kan
    Credits
    Guidesy guidesy

^ Seriously the most noob-friendly guides I've seen for drawing. Just thought it'd be a nice tutorial for original drawings and fanarts alike.