Finally… the post that you’ve all been waiting for….
I have finally beaten The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword!
As promised with my last update two weeks ago, I will now disclose a brief review of the game (Note: there will be spoilers):
- The similiarity in the story to my favorite Zelda game (Ocarina of Time) and clear ties to it
- The establishment of the beginning of the mythos/explaination as to why there can be so many Zelda games with Link, Zelda, and Ganon/Ganondorf (or a being of hatred)
- DOUBLE CLAWSHOTS…enough said
- Logical use of Wii controls
- Some familar characters and solid ensemble of new ones
- Wii controls not responding properly/the necessity to recalibrate constantly
- The popup messages appear everytime you collect a new item/collectible for the first time after turning the system back on, even if you have 50 in your inventory
- Fi pointing out the obvious (at least she’s not as bad/annoying as Navi)
- Repetitve bosses and dungeons
- If I have to fight the imprisoned just one more time, heads will roll… (3 times? Really?)
- Having to replay the exact same Earth/Forest temple with a single, new inventory item… That’s just lazy (and annoying for the player)
- Replaying dungeons just to get to unlock or access a new area? Why couldn’t I unlock it the first time through?
- Very long, annoying intro/tutorial time
With all that having been said, I thought Skyward Sword was a great game. The story called back to the elements of the Zelda mythos that make the series great. Although it does not compete with OoT for my favorite Zelda of all time, I do believe it beats out Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to take the second spot on my list.
Now that I completed Zelda: SS, I can move on to my next game in the list. In fact, since I beat Zelda: SS yesterday afternoon, I have already started on Call of Duty: Black Ops. The decision to play this game next was two-fold: 1) I needed a break from Adventure gaming for a while. 2) I wanted a game which had a short requirement time for beating it.
As some of you may remember, I explained back in Ep. III Part 2 that I have picked a new goal of completing three games before October 30 without much explaination. Well, the truth of the matter is I have too many unbeaten games in my stack and three new games will be coming out in the weeks following that deadline (Assassin’s Creed 3, Halo 4, and Black Ops 2). To ensure that I do not fall behind, I must beat three of my current, unbeaten games, if not more…
In order to start the next game off on the right foot, I logged just under two hours into Black Ops yesterday and can happily say that I’ve reached the fourth mission out of fifteen. I’m hoping to have the campaign/mission mode finished by Friday so that I can start on another game this weekend. Knowing my time constraints and lazy nature, I think it will be a challenge, but one that is within the realm of possibilities.
Another one bites the dust (FINALLY!)
• Batman: Arkham Asylum Completed 6-4-12 (Ep. II)
• Batman: Arkham City
• BioShock 2
• Call of Duty: Black Ops
• Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
• Fallout 3
• Halo Wars
• Lost Odyssey
• Ninja Gaiden 2
• Phantasy Star Universe
• Prince of Persia
• Red Dead Redemption
• Sonic the Hedgehog
• Star Ocean: The Last Hope
• Star War: The Force Unleashed
• Street Fighter IV
• The Elder’s Scroll V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Completed 9-17-12 (Ep. VI)
• Tomb Raider: Underworld